– CH = chain
– SL = slip stitch
– DC = double crochet
– Yarn: 4-ply, worsted weight yarn. I used Caron Simply Soft in Soft Pink (where to buy))
– Hook: H (5.0 MM)
– Newborn 13?
– 3-6 months 14?
– 6-12 months 16?
– 12 months-tween 17.5?
– Adult 18?
Chain to the length desired, but it must be divisible by 4, then add 3 chains at the end. For example, I wanted to make one for a 6-12 month old baby, so I chained 44, then added 3 at the end, for a total of 47 chains. The example below is for a newborn.
– In the third chain from the hook, work 3 DC in the same CH.
– Skip a CH, and work a SL in the next CH.
– Skip a CH, and work 4 DC in the next stitch.
– *Skip a CH, and work a SL in the next stitch.
– Skip a CH, and work 4 DC in the next stitch.*
– Repeat from * to the end, making sure to end with a shell (4 DC).
– Turn your work around, and see pictures below for continuing on the bottom. Work the first shell into the same chain (but on the bottom) of where you worked the last shell on the top.
The last shell and end should look like this – one shell on the top, one on the bottom.
Join the last shell to the first one with a SL. Fasten off and sew in the ends, leaving a tail to sew the headband together.